By Admin | Last Updated November 28, 2019
The Düden Falls are a set of iconic waterfalls 12 kilometers to the north east of Antalya, Turkey. They are formed from the water of the Kirkgozler and Pinarbasi rivers which converge at Biyikli and disappear into a pothole. This is quite common with rivers and lakes of the region. At the Düdenbasi the river splits and forms many channels. Separate channels form the upper and lower Düden falls. The water eventually goes into the Mediterranean Sea.
The word ‘Düden’ literally means a hole that swallows sources of water.
Quick Facts-Düden Waterfalls
||21. Cd. Road in Selale Mahallesi
Çaglayan Mahallesi, Lara Cd. No:457, 07230 Muratpasa/Antalya
|How to Reach
||By bus, dolmus (minibus), taxi
||3 Turkish Lira for Upper Duden Falls. Lower Duden Falls is free.
What to See
- Upper Düden Falls – This is located 10 kilometers away from Antalya city center and is also known as Alexander Falls. This is where the river has eroded the cliff face into a deep gorge. There are three ways to view the waterfall here. You can see the waterfall from above, you can climb down into a gorge and see the stream from below or you can see the cascade from a cave behind the falling water. The Falls are 15 meters in height and 20 meters wide. Beneath the Upper Duden Waterfall, there are tombs engraved in the rocks.
- Lower Düden Falls – This is located 8 kilometers away from Antalya city center, near Karpuzkaldiran on the way to Lara. The Lower Falls have a greater drop height than the Upper ones. You can actually see the waterfall falling into the sea from a height of about 40 meters making gorgeous water clouds. It is great to watch from Gençlik Park. A different angle to which to view the waterfall from would be via a cruise boat.
Plan your Trip to the Upper Düden Falls
- You can get this trip done for cheap if you take a dolmus (local minibus) from Antalya city to the Upper Düden Falls.
- The Dogu Karaji Taksi Station in Antalya is the spot from where the dolmus/taxis start.
- The surrounding area of the waterfall has been converted into a park for people to enjoy picnics or outdoor time.
- Expect to see a lot of locals as this place is popular with them.
- There is a small mosque on the premises.
- Restrooms are available.
- At the park, just follow the Düden River till you reach the falls.
- From the gorge the waterfall looks amazing. It is 15 meters high and 20 meters wide.
- The surrounding area has been made for walking so you can admire the waterfall from all angles.
- Do not forget to get a unique photo angle of the waterfall from behind the cascade through a cave.
- This trip should take you just about half a day.
- Families with children would enjoy this too. The children can bathe in the pools too.
- Try to see the sunrise from the Duden Falls. It’s heavenly.